[mythtv-users] installing ivtv

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 8 06:04:24 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 01.06.2005, 16:43 -0700 schrieb Ben Holt:
> On 6/1/05, Torsten Schenkel <mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> > You need the kernel sources installed to be able to compile the
> > additional modules. I my guess is correct, you don't want to compile
> > your own kernel, so this is what you need to do:
>
> If he's using a precompiled debian kernel he only needs the headers,
> not the full source then the build will work fine.
>
> Since he's using an old kernel he'll probably need to upgrade it at
> the same time since the headers for 2.6.7 are probably no longer
> available:
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686-smp kernel-headers-2.6-686-smp

Should work, sometime in the past this was not working (at least not for
kernels > 2.4 in unstable), so I devised the workaround.

It still doesn't work, the configuration of the kernel image and the
kernel headers don't match:

In file included
from /usr/src/modules/lirc/drivers/lirc_i2c/lirc_i2c.c:57:
/usr/src/modules/lirc/drivers/kcompat.h:149:2: #error "LIRC modules
currently require"
/usr/src/modules/lirc/drivers/kcompat.h:150:2: #error "  'Loadable
module support  --->  Module unloading'"
/usr/src/modules/lirc/drivers/kcompat.h:151:2: #error "to be enabled in
the kernel"

> Then just build ivtv as per the docs.

ivtv works with the headers only, ivtv even works with the kernel source
only (not compiled)

> As for getting lirc to work, why not use the precompiled debian package?

There is none, recommended procedure for lirc is therefore (I forgot in
the last mail):

5.

apt-get install lirc-modules-source
cd /usr/src
tar xvfz lirc-modules.tar.gz
cd linux

dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source

	in the case you have debconf set to critical
	do not use automagical but set your ir receiver by hand

make-kpkg modules_image
dpkg -i ../lirc-modules*.deb

This way you have a modules package installed.
Alternatively you can install lirc the standard way, which is what I do.

HTH,

Torsten