[mythtv-users] Re: Feature request: backwards compatability

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 17:28:13 UTC 2005

On 5/19/05, cwatson at linkline.com <cwatson at linkline.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> > Find a disc on the cover of "Linux Media Magazine" with MythTV
> > binaries on it running a slightly older knoppmyth 0.17  Decide to see
> > if knoppmyth is really all it's cracked up to be, only to find out
> > that your backend isn't going to play nice with it.  Stomp on the
> > disc, curse knoppmyth, and smile 18 hours later when your Gentoo
> > install finishes and 0.18 works as expected.
> >
> Curse KnoppMyth?!  Perhaps this is why my body ached and I couldn't sleep
> last night.  The MythTV versioning (non) issue is not a KnoppMyth issue.
> Any one capable of reading should be about to figure this out.  In the 18
> hours it took you to install Gentoo and MythTV, I could have installed
> KnoppMyth on 18 PCs.  This includes downloading 0.18, producing a debs on
> one to be installed on others (with much time remaining to watch TV).
> > ;)
> >
> > Cool
> Yes, KnoppMyth is cool.  If you want to use Gentoo, that is your option.  I
> however would appreciate it if you didn't curse my efforts to make the
> Linux/MythTV install easy for those that have better things to do with thier
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cecil

;)

It was just a scenario, it's not like I'm against Knoppmyth.  In fact,
I didn't mean for my response to be in anyway a stab at knoppmyth.  I
think it's one of the greatest things to come in such a nice, easy to
use package.  My scenario was just to show a possibility one may
encounter with the versioning problem.

And no, it doesn't take me 18 hours to install Gentoo, that too was
just a number I through out there and figured you guys would have fun
with ;)  My latest install on an XP 2200+ took ~1.5 hours.

Cool