[mythtv-users] PCHDTV-3000 2.0 settings

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:16:07 UTC 2005

On 6/7/05, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 07:58 -0700, Mudit Wahal wrote:
>

> > The freqid 3 looks fishy to me.
>
> It comes from the default starting channel, which is "3". That's a valid
> channel on my cable system.
>
> >  The freqid for digital stations is in
> > format x-y.
>
> I don't have digital cable, I only have analog. Does that matter? (I did
> say I'm a newbie in the TV world, right? :-)  If so, where is the
> setting I need to tweak for that?
>
> I did buy an HDTV card because I do plan to get digital cable
> eventually, once the prices of HD-capable TV sets come down to something
> reasonable. But right now I just have analog via standard coax.
>
> My local cable system does offer digital cable now even though I don't
> subscribe to it, so this could certainly result in bogus channel data
> being downloaded from ZapIt if the data is for digital but I have
> analog. Is that a possibility here?
>
> >  live TV by default doesn't work unless you have set
> > the starting channel correctly. Change the default channel in
> > mythsetup to 5_1 or something which works for you.
>
> This is the first time I've seen an underscore and two numbers to
> specify a channel. What does this mean?
>

> Thanks again for the help that's been given to me so far.
>
> --Greg

Ah, there's the catch.  The HD3000 can tune HD one of two ways - OTA
via an antenna with the V4L drivers, or QAM (aka digital cable) via
the DVB drivers.  To tune regular analog cable you'll need a card like
the PVR-350 (or 250, etc.).  That's what I do.  I have two cards in
the system, a PVR-350 for tuning analog cable, and the HD3000 for
tuning the HD channels (I get about seven or eight from comcast).