[mythtv-users] How does the diskless setup work?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Jun 7 13:41:41 UTC 2005

AJM,

At least 512mb would be good.  1gb is what I have on
my two PXE booted machines.

Video - regular requirements.
NIC - one that uses PXE

Your backend is going to need a bit more space, because
it houses what would normally be the local drive stuff.

Don't think of PXE as temporary.  It is as permanent
as a local drive, it just does everything over the network.
The NIC is just one of the boot options, just like a
local hard disk, floppy, cdrom, or event usb flash
drive.

When I have upgraded myth on my diskless frontends,
it is just like there is a local drive on the machine.
I have two totally different themes.  I'm actually
working on a kid theme.  Maybe I'll actually finish it before
my kids are ready to have kids of their own!

Paul

>>> "A JM" <vbtalent at gmail.com> 06/07/05 6:49 AM >>>
Paul, excellent write up!

As far as hardware is concerned what are we talking about here? M/B,
ram, video, NIC? What's common for this type of setup?

Since this is run from memory changes to the Myth FE would be
temporary so I assume you modify the 'init script' to make your
modifications to Myth, themes, etc.?

AJM,