[mythtv-users] How does the diskless setup work?

gad at jetcom.org gad at jetcom.org
Tue Jun 7 11:49:45 UTC 2005

Quoting A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com>:
> As far as hardware is concerned what are we talking about here? M/B,
> ram, video, NIC? What's common for this type of setup?

Pretty much any hardware you want. Obviously you need to have enough
ram, since a swap partition isn't normally used. the NIC needs to
support network booting. Most do now.  I'm running on a xp-3200 w/ 512
mb. Works great as a HD fe.

> Since this is run from memory changes to the Myth FE would be
> temporary so I assume you modify the 'init script' to make your
> modifications to Myth, themes, etc.?

If you mount the root partition from an NFS mount, you can write to is
as usual. There is no change to the system. Everything is configured
the same. You can even build things on there.  Your mount points are
jsut network mount points.