[mythtv-users] How does the diskless setup work?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 02:21:35 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Peter Schmitt <pschmitt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain to me how the diskless setup works?  I'm guessing
> it's something along the lines of a ramdisk...  if so, how do you boot
> into mythtv?
>
> Thanks!
> -Pete

Pete,
   I'm slowly trying to set one up. The basic idea is that your
network card goes out to another machine and asks for it's kernel. The
kernel is supplied over the network and loaded into memory where the
machine then executes it and runs. This requires a network card that
supports most commonly somethign called PXE.

   The server has to kow which machine is asking for which kernel so
that the machine gets the right drivers and such.

   It's complex and (so far) doesn't always work for me.

Hope this helps,
Mark