[mythtv-users] Sega Dreamcast Frontend

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 01:46:21 UTC 2005

I don't think it's going to happen.

The CPU is only 200MHz (an Hitachi SH-4), which
actually isn't that bad, since it was optimized for
games, including matrix transformations in the
opcodes, for example.

There's only 16MB of RAM, and no hard drive, so you'd
be swapping over LAN (and heaven help you if you don't
have the hard to find Ethernet adapter), and 8MB of
video RAM, divided into texture memory and vertex
memory (basically, you'd have to render the
video/screen to a texture, so it would actually be 3D
rendering, but putting everything on the same Z-axis).

On the other hand, if you wanted to create your own
frontend, not running on Linux, that talks the MythTV
protocol, it should be possible, since the Dreamcast
was capable of video playback.  (Only thing is I can't
recall if it was able to stream native MPEG-2, or if
the MPEG-2 clips were converted into another format).

Don't expect MythTV to run on it as is though, it
would have to be ported to a smaller, faster OS that
runs on the Dreamcast.

-- Joe