[mythtv-users] How do I removed existing mysql database and start over?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Jun 1 21:06:39 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 5/31/05, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>
>>First of all, this is myTHTV.org, If you want authoratative
>>info for mysql, you would be best served by mySQL.org...
>

> As it turns out yes, but since I wanted to fix MythTV I hope you'll
> forgive my coming here.

Perhaps I didn't phrase this correctly. You did nothing wrong
by posting here but at some point, it is useful to know that
if mythtv-users can not answer your questions about mysql access,
it is in your best interest to help yourself to mysql resources
(see below). The same holds true for bttv, ivtv, lirc, X, kde,
alsa, zap2it, etc. Though myth user use these things, there are
better resources out there when the answer isn't obvious.

>>Most likely you've been assuming that the IP wildcard will match
>>for the IP of the local connection but it does not. Notice that
>>"root" and "" both have entries for "gandalf" and "localhost".
>

> OK, clearly this is why the frontend wasn't connecting. What I'm not
> understanding out of this whole ordeal is why, when the frontend was
> configured to connect to 192.168.1.2, which is within the IP wildcard
> match, did mythtv convert this to gandalf and make life hard on
> itself? (and me!) ;-) The only place Gandalf is mentioned, AFAIK, is
> in /etc/hosts. It's not in Myth's configuration anywhere.

MythTV did not convert anything. It calls mysql client libraries
with the connect info in mysql.txt . Beyond that, the access
configuration is all mysql's business. This was only an ordeal
to the extent that you did not take the error message at face value,
didn't look at the mysql docs for information and started looking in
all sorts of other places. How it came to pass that dragonfly had
mythtv at dragonfly but gandalf had no mythtv at gandalf is a question that
I don't believe anyone else could answer for you.

> So the last item then would be how to delete an entry from the table.
> There's certainly a command for doing that so I'll find it, get  stuff

mysql> delete from user where user='mythtv' and host='foobar';
mysql> flush privileges;

> cleaned up, and be left with this one little mystery about why it
> insisted on using a name instead of an IP.

Clients on the same machine as the server connect through a Unix
socket file and not through a remote TCP/IP connection. Here is
information from the people who wrote and support the code in lieu
of guesses from people who happened to install it once because they
had to (self included). I found these in seconds by entering the
search terms "local connections" and "access denied":

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/can-not-connect-to-server.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/access-denied.html

--  bjm