[mythtv-users] How do I removed existing mysql database and start over?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed Jun 1 16:09:07 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
>>First of all, this is myTHTV.org, If you want authoratative
>>info for mysql, you would be best served by mySQL.org...
>
> As it turns out yes, but since I wanted to fix MythTV I hope you'll
> forgive my coming here.

for shame!  no one else ever goes off-topic on this list ;)

> OK, clearly this is why the frontend wasn't connecting. What I'm not
> understanding out of this whole ordeal is why, when the frontend was
> configured to connect to 192.168.1.2, which is within the IP wildcard
> match, did mythtv convert this to gandalf and make life hard on
> itself? (and me!) ;-) The only place Gandalf is mentioned, AFAIK, is
> in /etc/hosts. It's not in Myth's configuration anywhere.

i'm not sure about this, either ... it was my first assumption, but
testing on my particular network showed that it worked with 192.168.0.%
when i didn't have an entry where Host = 'kryten%' (the hostname of my
remote frontend is kryten.slacknet.local) ... and without an entry where
Host = 'smeg%' (the hostname of my backend is smeg.slacknet.local) ...

> So the last item then would be how to delete an entry from the table.
> There's certainly a command for doing that so I'll find it, get  stuff
> cleaned up, and be left with this one little mystery about why it
> insisted on using a name instead of an IP.

DELETE FROM [table_name] WHERE [condition];

depending on what you want to delete ... for deleting users, there are
other commands (tho' standard sql commands will work, since the users
table is nothing special, just another mysql table), and i'd reccommend
using them instead, because they delete stuff properly ... don't know
them offhand, tho' (i use phpmyadmin for all user management stuff)

'luck,
-g-