[mythtv-users] Re: Windows Viewing Solutions?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 31 18:34:02 EDT 2005

Steve Nuffer wrote:

> I have tried using the MythWeb and changing the URL to the samba
> share.  The URL that I'm using is FILE://location/file.nuv
> <file://location/file.nuv>.  When I do that, the file browser tries to
> download the whole file even if its a share.   If I put the same URL
> in MS Explorer at the top, it immediately plays.  I have tried
> different combinations but can't get around the download.
>
> Anybody know a way around that.

The only way to get the browser plug-ins to start playing it immediately
is to "stream" the file from the webserver.  This requires some extra
software--something like VLC.  The MythStreamTV plugin will allow you to
do this (using VLC).

> My current way around that is using mythlink.sh to create a better
> name for the file .  Then I find the file using file explorer and
> dobule click.

That's probably the easiest way.  Basically, if you play it from the
filesystem, it's just a file, so there's no "downloading" involved.

Mike