[mythtv-users] Re: Kernel src, ati_remote, 2.6.12 kernel

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 15:36:59 EDT 2005

On 7/30/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> The ATI Remote Wonder is just an X10 USB remote (NVIDIA also has a
> flavor of the same remote hardware).  You can buy the remote without an
> ATI video card, but it comes as part of the package for the ATI
> "All-in-Wonder" series of multimedia video cards (whose drivers do not
> support V4L, and are unusable as capture devices in Myth).
>
> So, you can use an ATI Remote Wonder regardless of your video card
> selection.  I'm using the Remote Wonder on my Myth box with a Chaintech
> GF4 MX440 (NVIDIA) graphics card and SiS chipset and AMD
> processor--nothing ATI in the system at all.  But, since I had the
> remote and since it's radio frequency (= works through walls, so I can
> use it from any room in the house--i.e. for "non-video" stuff like
> music), I thought it would be perfect for my Myth box.
>
> With the ATI Remote Wonder, you have to choose between the kernel driver
> (which makes the remote look like a normal keyboard/mouse) and remap all
> your applications key settings to match the keys sent by the remote (and
> figure ways to deal with repeats, etc.) or LIRC (which allows you to
> decide how to use the remote--i.e. my "mouse cursor pad" is just a set
> of navigation buttons since Myth doesn't use the mouse) and create a
> LIRC config that's appropriate for all your applications (including
> handling of repeats, etc.).  (You may have noticed my bias toward using
> LIRC.)
>
> You can also use ATI video cards for output on a Myth system, but they
> cannot be used as capture cards (even if they have the
> tuner/S-Video/Composite inputs).

I have an ATI Remote Wonder, and I use it as a radio frequency
device.  Your post, as well as quite a few others I've read in the
last month or so, seem to indicate that it can be used as an IR
device.  At least that's how I interpret the references to LIRC.

Maybe I'm completely confused, but if you wouldn't mind,
could you point me in the direction of learning how to use
the ATI Remote Wonder as an IR (InfraRed) device ?

Thanks.

--
MM