[mythtv-users] nVidia FX 5200 (Chaintech)

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05a at crowcastle.net
Fri Jul 29 20:38:22 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 18:30, Brandon Rogers wrote:
> Thanks for all your feedback.  I guess I should have been more specific.
> The ChainTech nVidia FX 5200 card I have has a DVI output, a VGA output, and
> an Video output (It's not an S-Video connector, just an RCA jack video
> connection).  I wonder if 1080i can be output using the RCA jack or should I
> get a DVI-HDMI cable for the connection?

That has been covered many times on this list.  The RCA jack is the
composite output.  Much like S-Video, it only sends one format out--NTSC
(actually, it can also do PAL), but you'll never get anything other than
"standard" (low) definition.  That would be 480i in the current TV
lingo.

If you want HDTV, you'll need to use DVI->HDMI or VGA->Component for
most newer TVs (though some will take VGA directly, and note that for
our purposes, HDMI is just the digital portion of DVI with a different
connector).