[mythtv-users] [OT] UPS's and 24x7 MythBoxen...

Matthew Schumacher schu at schu.net
Wed Jul 27 22:57:34 EDT 2005

Gavin Haslett wrote:
> So that if your battery goes dead, the machine can shut itself down
> cleanly... Thus protecting your data :)

If you get one smart ups (one that can tell your host about the
batteries) then run a network based ups monitoring tool such as nut you
can add dumb upses (much cheaper) to other hosts and have them query the
power status from the host connected to the smart ups over the network.

My wifes computer is plugged into a $25 300 watt ups, and it does down
gracefully because it is asking the server every 5 seconds what the
power status is.

schu