[mythtv-users] mythtv setup without backend and mysql

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 11:43:10 EDT 2005

LiveTV (unless you modify the menus to call an
external program for watching LiveTV) is a recording -
a recording that plays back while it's recording.
Therefore, you require MySQL, because the backend
(which is needed for recording) contains the capture
card settings.

Additionally, LiveTV won't work without the database,
because the database contains your channel list, so
that MythTV knows what channels it can tune to.

Simply put, if you plan on doing any kind of recording
at all (including LiveTV), you require the backend.
If you require the backend, then you require MySQL.

-- Joe