[mythtv-users] Unable to set ALSA parameters

Sage sage at gypsycaravan.com
Wed Jul 27 03:07:10 EDT 2005

Switching to another version of ALSA wasn't possible since I am using
the 2.6 kernel and the ALSA modules are part of the kernel package.

However, I did manage to fix the problem in an unexpected way.  I
changed the .asoundrc file to read:

------------------
pcm.via82xx {
         type hw
         card 0
         device 1
}

ctl.via82xx {
         type hw
         card 0
}

Then I changed the MythTV settings for "Audio output device" back to /
dev/dsp, and "Mixer Device" to /dev/mixer.  Those are the defaults
for OSS, so I don't know if this means that I'm using OSS emulation
or what.  But frankly, I don't care, because this seems to have
worked.  I now have volume control with the ALSA drivers.