[mythtv-users] Advice before buying a dedicated MythTV system.

Petersen Curt petersen.curt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:09:28 EDT 2005

That processor should be fine.  If you're using the hauppauge cards
with built-in MPEG2 encoders, it will not be CPU intensive at all.  I
have a PVR-500 and each stream only consumes <1% of my 2GHz Athlon.
My old frame-grabber card (using bttv) hogs almost 20% of CPU for the
encoding though.  I have this one set to my lowest priority though so
it is only rarely used.  With your setup, you run a higher risk of
IOBOUND errors to/from the hard disk.  Make sure you get a good one.

The only trouble you might run into is if you want to run 3 commercial
flagging jobs simultaneously on that backend.  If you don't mind
waiting, you can limit the backend to only 1 or 2 flagging jobs at
once.

-Pete