[mythtv-users] Kudos and need help installing second tuner

Jason Mcmillon jmcmillon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 21:34:38 EDT 2005

Kudos to the MythTV developers.  Excellent work on a great piece of software.

Now on to my problem. I have successfully installed a PVR 250 using
Jarod's guide on an Asus P4P800-E motherboard with a NVidia FX 5500
video card.

I am trying to add an additional software based Hauppauge WinTV card
with no luck.

/sbin/lspci -v shows:
02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416)
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
       Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250
       Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

02:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (
rev 11)
       Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
       Memory at f7efe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
       Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
       Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2

02:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11
)
       Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
       Memory at f7eff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
       Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
       Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2

ll /dev/video? shows:

crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 0 Jul 24 09:55 /dev/video0

The WinTV card was autoinstalled under Fedora and my
/etc/modprobe.conf now looks like:
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7667
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7667

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
alias char-major-81 bttv

I have tried both "alias char-major-81 bttv" and "alias
char-major-81-1 bttv" with no luck.

BTW, running "/sbin/depmod -a" followed by "/sbin/modprobe bttv"
yields the following error:
FATAL: Error inserting bttv
(/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.35_FC3smp/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I am pretty new to linux, and was hoping someone could point me in the
right direction on how to get my two cards to play well together.

Thanks,
jason