[mythtv-users] No MythTV volume control when using S/PDIF

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 04:25:02 EDT 2005

I've just got S/PDIF working (I think!) with a few minor tweaks to
sort out. I've noticed that the volume up/down and mute controls on my
MythTV remote no longer work. To adjust the volume I have to do it via
the receiver that the S/PDIF is connected to.

Is this normal or have I done something wrong? If it is normal could
someone please briefly explain why. I'm assuming it's something to do
with the audio signal now being passed straight from one piece of
hardware (the S/PDIF connector on the MythTV box) to another (the
receiver) so there's no opportunity for software to interfere with the
volume settings. Is that correct?

Regards,
Phill