[mythtv-users] [OT] To: VIA EPIA M10000 users Re: Sound experiences and left channel audio?

John Hanauer johnhanauer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 13:48:36 EDT 2005

Hello,

My question is this.  For anyone with an M10k, I just got mine a few
days ago.  I was curious if it's normal for the M10k's to have audio
only come out of the left analog channel without tweaking?  I've been
searching mailing lists and I guess I just can't find the right search
words to find this problem.

If you'd like to read further, you can.  But I want to make sure I
didn't receive a bad mobo. So this is what i tried:

I installed FC4 (tweaking around Jarod's guide), and during the
install speaker test, only left channel worked during speaker test.
Updated to the latest FC4 kernel, then I updated ALSA (apt-get) and
everything, tried multiple alsamixer configs, and aRts and what not,
but no luck.  Still only left channel would output sound.

So I installed FC3.  Same exact thing, identical procedure, updating
to latest kernels and alsa, still only left channel sound only.

So I boot up knoppix 3.9.  Same thing on boot.

I installed SuSE 9.3 and no sound whatsoever.

I tried to install Windows just so I could try VIA's drivers, but the
boot CD wouldn't even get past the black screen saying "searching for
hardware configuration."  It was at this point I got really curious
about if my mobo is bad.

-John.