[mythtv-users] Wireless Frontend

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 22:14:42 EDT 2005

On 7/22/05, Loren A. Linden Levy <lindenle at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to use my laptop over an 802.11b connection to watch
> recordings and live tv. I am getting a ton of prebuffering pauses that
> make the video jittery.

I bet you are... I even got them with 802.11g, but then your wireless
throughput speeds may vary depending on your card, signal strength,
and wirelss driver.

> Is there a way to tell the backend to use a
> lower resolution, or frequency so that I can make this work.

Here are some options :

- Use mythstreamtv to resample and stream at whatever bitrate you
want- http://mythstreamtv.sf.net
- Run an ethernet cable to your laptop
- Change your recording bitrate in mythtv-setup until the jitters go away
- Set a very aggressive mythtranscode to transcode files down to a
size that you can stream
- upgrade to 802.11g

Hope that helps!

-Ross