[mythtv-users] PVR 500MCE worth the trouble yet?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 17:13:56 EDT 2005

I am using a setup with a PVR-500 and a PVR-250, and
it is working absolutely fine, with no problems at
all.

I am using ATrpms, stable, and followed the guide by
Jarod Wilson.  All three tuners are recording just
fine.

Here's the relevant portions of my modprobe.conf:
##########
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
options cx25840 no_black_magic=1
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
alias tuner tuner-ivtv
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install lirc_i2c

Most of the problems that people seem to have with the
PVR-500 are related to the tuner code.  The Linux
kernel has one tuner module, while the PVR-500 cards
need another one (to cope with the newer tuner in
them).  Once that is sorted out (the RPMs at ATrpms
seem to take care of this), there are no problems
whatsoever.  Well, at least I haven't had any.  :)

-- Joe