[mythtv-users] Can't get S/PDIF sound working

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:04:40 EDT 2005

On 7/22/05, Michael Carland <mcarland at bitsgonewild.net> wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>
> > I've just bought a S/PDIF header for my Gigabyte mobo and am having
> > trouble getting any sound out of it.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > If I put the old analogue connection back in from the sound card to
> > the receiver then I can get sound again, but I want to get this
> > working so I can get Dolby from MythDVD.
> >
> > Does anyone know where I'm going wrong here?
> >

> I can't help with the .asoundrc file, I play with that when I feel like
> getting frustrated.
>
> One thing to check is that your receiver is looking for SPDIF on the
> port you are using. Do you have another SPDIF device you could test
> with? Turns out my receiver had menus I had never seen before, that
> would set the input for a given source to (ANALOG/DIGITAL/AUTO-SELECT),
> and I had spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to play from SPDIF
> when it was in ANALOG mode, before I found that menu. I was even using
> a coax to toslink adapter, giving me one more thing to wrongly suspect
> of breakage.
>
> Probably not your problem, but maybe worth mentioning...
>
> -Michael

If you are sure the receiver is working correctly, you might want to
try replacing the device number in this statement:

# Alias for digital (S/PDIF) output on the Audigy (hw:0,0)
# Do not use this directly--it requires specific rate,
# channels, and format
pcm.digital-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
 device 4
}

I would try each number 0-4.  Requires a reboot, but well worth it if
you get the right one.  The SPDIF on my board (Asus A7N8X-E Dlx)
onboard coax digital out is 0,1.   I have an optical header that I
haven't used yet but I would think that cycling through those numbers
would help.  Good luck!  Also, instead of creating the file .asound in
HOME I created the file /etc/asound.conf and it works for all users,
root etc.