[mythtv-users] recording live tv to dvd (following on from MPEG2 -> MPEG2 transcoding thread)

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Jul 22 07:46:05 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Marius Schrecker wrote:

> So what do people use to burn live tv (from ivtv) to dvd without sync problems?
>
> Marius
> Registered Linux user

 	If you don't process the video, it should work fine, although the
streams that ivtv generate are a bit weird in their packet structure.  The
problem comes when you try to cut out the commercials.  Those utilities
don't process the stream correctly and thus break it.

 	If you just record at a DVD-compatible video/audio resolution and
bitrate, (as a special type DVD IIRC), you should be able to dvdauthor the
resulting mpeg file.  I'm assuming that special type DVD inserts the
dummy VOBU packets as necessary.... if not, likely SOL since trying to mux
them in will break it.

-Cory