[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 3000: Questions from a MythTV newbie

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Jul 21 15:18:53 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 11:41 -0700, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:
>  DVB only works with digital
> g> inputs, which of course analog cable is not.
>

>         No, that's wrong.  Most US cable providers have agreed to
> provide unencrypted QAM feeds of local digital channels if you
> subscribe to plain basic cable.  You don't need to subscribe to
> "digital cable".  I use the pcHDTV-3000 (dvb)

That's very interesting, I may have another try at it. But I have never
been able to get the pcHDTV-3000 to work with anything other than the
standard v4l drivers. The DVB drivers did not work when I tried that,
whether I used the default ones or the ones downloaded from pchdtv.com,
using FC3 but still with a 2.6.10 kernel (maybe that's my problem?) But
there are other things I use like VMware that I could never get to build
proper modules for 2.6.11 so I'm still on 2.6.10.

As of now I've decided to get a PVR-150 card so that I can get decoding
done in hardware. Until I'd been on this list for a while, I foolishly
believed there was no such thing as a WinCapture card :-) (think
WinModem if you didn't get the joke). If I get the PVR-150 working, I
may later try connecting an OTA antenna to the pcHDTV-3000 to try and
get some real HD.

I do find it interesting that there may be some actual HD content on
analog cable. I'll have to look into that more.

--Greg