[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 3000: Questions from a MythTV newbie

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 21 14:41:19 EDT 2005

g> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 10:14 -0600, blrogers at ieee.org wrote:
>> regarding the pcHDTV 3000 and it's compatibility with
>> Myth on Fedora Core 3.

g> What have you got connected to this card? I have this card and FC3, and
g> I use the v4l drivers, but that's because all I have connected to the
g> card right now is analog cable. I suspect those who know more than I who
g> can answer your question are also going to need to know what you have
g> connected to the card. I use v4l because DVB only works with digital
g> inputs, which of course analog cable is not.

        No, that's wrong.  Most US cable providers have agreed to
provide unencrypted QAM feeds of local digital channels if you
subscribe to plain basic cable.  You don't need to subscribe to
"digital cable".  I use the pcHDTV-3000 (dvb) with Comcast "analog
cable" and get the HDTV/DTV feeds for FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, and a
few other channels.  You can check in the avsforum.com forums for
threads about your local cable provider to see what unencrypted
channels are available.

        I understand this may not be useful for your immediate
situation, though.  If you only have analog cable and one pcHDTV-3000
card, you presumably want to be able to use its NTSC tuner for the
regular channels and its ATSC tuner for the HD channels.  I think
there's some work needed to get MythTV to use both of the tuners
properly (search the list archives).  I think most people using the
card for HDTV just have a separate NTSC tuner card for the regular
channels.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.