[mythtv-users] Re: Myth Plus ?

Geoff Scott geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:36:10 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Donavan Stanley <geckofiend at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a big reason why I've tried to stress that this isn't so much
> about what you get for you $5 a month, it's more of a new way to
> finance software development.  Instead of paying $50 and hoping a
> feature you care about gets in, or paying nothing and being told "send
> us a patch" your can pay small amount each month that when combined
> with the money from others like you ensures the features you care
> about get implemented.

<devil's advocate>

Say I subscribe, and living in the US, the only reason I would is for
the "voting" ability since I'm fine with the themes out there now
(thanks Myxer!) and get the same program info for free.  Anyway,
what's to say the things I want to get funded... get funded?  How does
the list that we vote on get populated?  Does LxM Suite decide on the
ideas proposed and generate a short list?  How much of my money goes
into the "pay for dev" program?  Surely it's not 100%, since LxM Suite
is not a charity.

The only thing that makes sense to me to pay for going forward, other
than the voting thing, is actual data, like your podcast idea or some
super-duper program info on steroids, or a better interface to
manipulate my channel lineup, or heck, even a channel icon for each
and every channel I have.

I can't see paying for themes, there's so many out there.

</devil's advocate>

All that being said, I'm very happy that LxM Suite is throwing the
code back.  I wouldn't even consider subscribing if that wasn't the
case.