[mythtv-users] recording live TV

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:25:54 EDT 2005

On 19/07/05, Ricardo Kleemann <ricardo at americasnet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use "R" to begin recording the currently playing video, but
> when I press R, it simply displays R "" on top, it doesn't really start
> recording. Nothing shows up in the "Previously Recorded" section. Maybe
> mythtv doesn't have the program information, so it doesn't assign a name to
> the recording? The video source I have setup is with DataDirect, but I'm
> getting errors retrieving lineups (I get "401 Unauthorized" on the http
> request). But in any case, even though DataDirect is not pulling in data,
> what I'm currently connected to is a DVD player, which obviously is not
> related to any listings. How can I use "R" as a one-touch record feature?

Well, first point is that you *NEED* your grabber working. With
DataDirect you will get TWO status responses. The first is a "401
Unauthorized", followed by a "200 OK". If you get this, then
everything it working fine. If not, check your subscription details,
and remember that it is CaSe sEnSiTiVe!!

Next, you really shouldn't be using Myth to capture from DVD in this
way, as it's not what Myth is meant for. If you want a DVD on your
system you should use MythVideo, which has an in-built DVD ripper for
backing up your DVD's (If you can't play encrypted DVD's on your linux
box, there is a 3rd-party library you need to install. Mail me direct
for more info)

> Another thing is I have to run alsactl everytime I start Watch TV, it seems
> to reset the volume so I need to run alsactl to restore the settings I want.
> Is there a way to do this automatically?

How about setting Myth to use ALSA (If you haven't already) instead of
OSS, and setting the volume preferences inside Myth to the right
values.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston