[mythtv-users] Cannot change channels with M179

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 13:39:45 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 0:45, Scott Alfter wrote:
> Are you running into any signal-quality issues, by any chance?  I got
> one of
> my M179s running again (this time alongside a PVR-350 and a
> PVR-250MCE).
> I'm using the same ivtv version as you, with the kernel (2.6.9)
> tuner.ko
> used instead of the one provided with ivtv.  Passing the tuner types
> (8 for
> the PVR-250MCE, 2 for the PVR-350 and M179) to ivtv got the tuners on
> all
> three cards working.
>
> However, the signal quality on the M179 is still far inferior to the
> two
> Hauppauge cards.  The tuner input picks up more RF noise that shows up
> as
> various kinds of interference patterns (odd, since the PVR-350 uses
> the
> exact same tuner).  I then figured I'd go ahead and use the Hauppauge
> cards
> to tune analog cable and plug the digital-cable box into the M179.
> While
> the picture quality on the S-video input is good enough, the audio has
> an
> unacceptable amount of crackling noise in the background.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get the M179 working better on either
> the
> tuner or S-video input, or should I rip it back out and forget about
> ever
> getting it working properly with MythTV?
>
> (I've done some composite video capture with the M179 on a WinXP box,
> and
> the audio didn't make the crackling noise it does under Linux.  Is
> ivtv not
> initializing something on the card properly?)

I don't have  any other cards to compare to, and my TV-out is so crappy
it's hard to figure out whether any picture problems are introduced by
the M-179 or the TV-out encoder.  I will say that the quality degrades
quickly if there's any noise in the incoming signal.  As soon as I have
some spare time and spare cash I'm going to try out ain Air2PC or
pcHDTV card, plus get a TV with digital inputs so I can take the TV
encoder chip out of the equation.

-JAC