[mythtv-users] IP TV support on the agenda?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 11:40:18 EDT 2005

(At this point, we're kind of off-topic.)

My guess then is that you haven't tried to stream tons
of multicast data through switches then (either
high-end or low-end).

Where I work, we have.  And we have found many of
those switches to be broken, only supporting a few
IGMP groups (no higher than 16 as I recall), or just
not able to keep up with a full 38Mbps MPEG-2 stream.
There's apparently a few DSLAMs (for DSL) that can't
keep up with anything close to that kind of traffic
either.

I agree that multicast is the way to go for broadcast
TV.  But if the underlying equipment can't deliver the
traffic, then there will be problems.

Then again, we've also had our share of problems with
GigaBit switches not being able to deliver a GigaBit
of data.  But that's another story.

-- Joe