[mythtv-users] Re: Anyone tried MPEG2 to MPEG2 transcoding?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 03:19:29 EDT 2005

> I went ahead and tried this out and the results are as follows:
>
> A)- The jobs show up in the system status screen in red font as
> Failed, which would indicate that the transcoding didn't
> happen...however...
>
> B) From looking at the size of the recordings in the Delete screen the
> files are definitely smaller than the original DVB-T recordings and
> they seem to work perfectly in playback.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Does anyone know why it says failed, but appears to have worked?
>
> 2) Do I need to clear those failed entries somehow otherwise they're
> just going to build up and up for ever - how do I do that?
>
> 3) Will it keep re-trying to transcode these files until these failed
> entries get cleared?

Just an update on this for future reference. It appears that the
transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG2 is now wokring. I'm no longer getting
jobs showing up as failed in the system status screen, and the files
are being transcoded to a smaller size. I have no idea why they were
failing before. Even though the files are a lot smaller, the quality
of them is still great so I'm very pleased with this outcome. As an
example a 2.28GB file transcoded to a 0.982 GB file which was good
quality.

Regards,
Phill