[mythtv-users] MythShyte: One unhappy customer

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 16:25:53 EDT 2005

--- antec <antec30 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I but in the geforce card becuase mt other card
> didnt have the required
> acceleration. The documentation on the mythtv
> website went into detail about
> this as a possible cause for prebuffer pause.
>
> I didnt see it as a softwre problem as everything
> was prebuilt. I just had
> faith that the software worked. I assumed that the
> computer I built out of
> junk was just too slow (a dual p2,450).
>
> Using a pixelview bt878 rip-off aka "bravo", 640 x
> 480 @ 25fps.

What is the CPU usage on the machine when you are
trying to watch live TV?
Are you using RTjpeg or MPEG4?  RTjpeg is better for
low end systems.

>From the Documentation:
Here are a few data points:

    * A PIII/733MHz system can encode one video stream
using the MPEG-4 codec using 480x480 capture
resolution. This does not allow for live TV watching,
but does allow for encoding video and then watching it
later.
    * A developer states that his AMD1800+ system can
almost encode two MPEG-4 video streams and watch one
program simultaneously.
    * A PIII/800MHz system with 512MB RAM can encode
one video stream using the RTjpeg codec with 480x480
capture resolution and play it back simultaneously,
thereby allowing live TV watching.
    * A dual Celeron/450MHz is able to view a 480x480
MPEG-4/3300kbps file created on a different system
with 30% CPU usage.
    * A P4 2.4GHz machine can encode two 3300Kbps
480x480 MPEG-4 files and simultaneously serve content
to a remote frontend.