[mythtv-users] Slave backend thinks it's the master backend - help!!

Alex Brekken brekkal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:44:06 EDT 2005

Update: SOLVED

Ok, so it had to be user-error, right?  yep it was.  I didn't realize
there were 2 mysql.txt files - one in /home/mythtv/.mythtv and one in
/root/.mythtv.  (at least on my boxes)  What was happening was on my
slave box, I only modified the mysql.txt file in the home directory,
not root.  So when I would start mythbackend from a SU prompt, it was
reading from the mysql.txt file in /root, not /home.  The file in
/root was causing the slave box to hit the DB as localhost.localdomain
- which is the same host name as the Master box.  So it thought it WAS
the master box, which totally explains why it was starting as the
master server, rather than as the slave.  I modified the file, and now
all is good.

This does bring up one additional question, however:  while I was
horsing aorund trying to troubleshoot this, I ended up trying a
handful of different hostnames in the LocalHostName field of the
various mysql.txt files.  After querying the SETTINGS table in the DB,
I see all of those hostnames have created new rows in the table.  So
my question is, is it a good idea for me to go ahead and remove those
rows for the bogus hostnames?  Maybe do something like "delete from
settings where hostname = "whatever"....

Or am I asking for trouble by doing this?  Thanks in advance!