[mythtv-users] Reliability problems when switching to view live tv

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Fri Jul 15 19:41:55 EDT 2005

Todd Ignasiak wrote:

>I recently set up my first MythTV system (Linux-2.6.13-rc3, x86-64,
>FusionHDTV card, Linux DVB interface, NVidia FX5200).  When it works,
>it works great..  very impressive feature set.
>
>But, I have probably a 20% success rate in actually viewing live TV.
>Most of the time, I only get a blank screen and have to kill
>mythfrontend to get out of it.   I restart the frontend and backend
>processes, and try it a few more times, eventually I will get lucky
>and I will get the live TV stream.  When that happens, it usually
>works fine from then on, until I exit live viewing and try to go back
>again..
>
>I think the card is providing data,  as the ringbuffer file is
>growing, and I can even view the video in it with vlc or mplayer.
>

>Is this typical of other HDTV implementations?    From what I hear,
>the DVB drivers for ATSC/QAM are relatively new,  could it be related
>to the driver status (although, if that were the case, why would the
>backend still be getting data)?
>
>Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

My limited experience is that the picture comes up every time, but,
there is a delay while it locks in to the station.  The only real
problem I have is that sometimes there is no sound until I switch tracks
(numpad +/-).  A few other people in Australia have mentioned similar
issues, and I think it's to do with the AC-3 sound.

I haven't tried the very latest drivers from linuxtv.org.  I tend to
wait until they come out in an rpm.