[mythtv-users] Video gets choppy when changing channels/opening prog. guide

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:54:28 EDT 2005

On 7/15/05, JEFFERY PLEAU <jefferypleau at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am a new mythtv user, having used Jarod's how-to to
> build my myth box.  I have two issues with my myth box
> (front and bqackend are on same machine)
>
> 1.  Whenever I change the channel, there is about a
> 3-4 second pause while the channel changes.  Is it
> possible to eliminate this delay?

We haven't heard this one before.  Please check the searchable archive
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/) for many many
http://tinyurl.com/achd8

> 2.  Sometimes, after a channel change or when bringing
> up the program guide, the video becomes *very* choppy
> and there is no sound.  I can leave it for 5-10
> minutes and it corrects, or I can back out of watching
> TV and re-enter and it's fine.  What can I do to fix
> this?

It sounds to me that you're getting prebuffering pauses.  That box
should be able to handle a normal stream without stuttering.  Do you
have DMA enabled on your hard drive?

> Details of my box:
> ASUS Pundit-R
> PVR-250
> 512MB PC2700 RAM
> Celeron D 2.4 GHz
> Using onboard ATI TV-out
> FC3, myth 0.18
>
> Would changing the resolution affect this (using
> /usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480 currently)
>
> Also, would upping the RAM or upgrading the processor
> to a full P4 help either of these?
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

See answers inline