[mythtv-users] De-interlacing on a non-interlaced display

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Fri Jul 15 08:11:42 EDT 2005

> I have noticed similar issues on my ATSC / QAM MythTV box.   When
> deinterlacing is on, I get weird effects on the OSD.  I also see
> effects on progressive content (720p stations, like Fox-HD, ABC-HD,
> and ESPN-HD).
>
> I had assumed that the de-interlacing would adapt to the video source,
> and turn off processing when doing progressive content.  Apparently
> this is not the case,  but that would be an excellent feature
> enhancement.

I have actually been contemplating doing this for some time now. I have
just been living with it. I used to disable deinterlacing when watching
HD content and re-enable it when watching standard recordings, but now I
just leave everything deinterlaced and live with it. HD looks best when
it is not deinterlaced because I am using a hd interlaced mode on the tv
for that content, but standard def shows show slight tearing if
deinterlacing is turned off.

- James