[mythtv-users] Getting a Plasma, Scared of Burn-In

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 01:31:39 EDT 2005

--- Matt Grommes <matt at mattorama.net> wrote:

> I was listening to a podcast interview with the head of Panasonic's
> flatscreen TV division and he dismissed both the concerns about
> burnin
> and lifetime for plasmas. I'll have to dig up the other review I was
> reading where they talked about burn-in as well.

Marketing people may dismiss the problem, but then again they're trying
to sell product.  I googled the manual for the Panasonic plasma TV
(model TH-42PA20U/P) and on page 29 it says:

"SIDE BAR
Do not display a picture in 4:3 mode for an extended period, as this
can cause an after-image to remain on the side bars on either side of
the display field..."

Translation: Yes, plasma sets DO suffer from burn-in.  This is true of
CRT based sets as well (which is the kind I have).  Be aware of it, and
take steps to prevent burn-in.