[mythtv-users] New Install Recommendations

Bob Weber rjweber at ieee.org
Wed Jul 13 17:36:20 EDT 2005

I second gentoo, but with a caveat. Installing apps like mythtv and ivtv on
gentoo is easy. The ebuild system is nice, once you figure out how to use it.
But:
1. installing from source (which I always do) is slow. Easy, usually, and the
binary should be optimized, but slow.
2. Maintenance is also slow, and usually easy.

I messed around a long time getting the ivtv driver and mythtv installed and
working on debian. It went much faster on gentoo, but then again, it was my
2nd time through it.