[mythtv-users] Pundit-R SATA drive speed

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:45:46 EDT 2005

On 7/13/05, Fedor Pikus <fpikus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah. In my case these boxes are just front ends since the PVR family
> > of cards don't really fit very well so I haven't cared very much about
> > disk speed. If it was a back-end then I'd be a bit more concerned, but
> > even 12MB/S will source a number of live streams so it shouldn't cause
> > huge problems while we wait for someone to fix the driver.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> Seems rather slow for SATA. I've just finished replacing a PATA
> soft-RAID with a SATA one in my desktop box, and I get write speeds
> between 70 and 80 MB/s (RAID-5 and JFS).

Oh, I completely agree. It's far too slow, but I think it's a driver
issue. I get >50MB/s on my recent PATA drives. I think (hope?) this is
just a driver issue since support for the IGP chipset is lacking in
some other areas also, such as graphics support.

None the less since my MythTV recordings don't require even 1MB/S
steady streaming I'm sure this would be fine for my current needs, but
long-term it needs to improve.

Cheers,
Mark