[mythtv-users] Waking from dark screen with remote

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Wed Jul 13 14:12:21 EDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 2:49 AM, Michael Jones wrote:

> When my MythTV system sits idle for a while the screen goes dark
> (the KDE
> screen saver is off) but I can't wake the screen without hitting a
> button on
> the keyboard.

How about not letting it go dark in the first place? Use setterm to
disable console blanking by editing your rc.local (rc.local varies by
distro!) and add the following lines:

     /usr/bin/setterm -powersave off
     /usr/bin/setterm -blank 0

Next edit your xorg.conf file and make sure the ServerFlags section
contains at least the following:

     Section "ServerFlags"
             Option "StandbyTime"  "0"
             Option "SuspendTime"  "0"
             Option "OffTime"      "0"
             Option "DPMS"         "off"
     EndSection

At this point you'll be good to go after a reboot or instead of
rebooting just run setterm by hand and then restarting X. Also check
your system BIOS!! Many modern motherboards will use BIOS to blank
the display as well.

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1