[mythtv-users] OT: kernel disabling IRQ#7 (Sound Stops working)

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Mon Jul 11 17:08:07 EDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Noel Murphy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I realize this isn't mythtv specific, however it is happening on my box which
> is used specifically for mythtv.
>
> I have a weird issue where when I don't use the machine for awhile (say the
> whole weekend because I'm gone to the cottage) when I return, I have a
> Knotify message up on the screen telling me that the kernel has disabled IRQ
> #7 (Which I believe is the interrupt for the sound card). Then, when I try to
> watch any recordings or live tv, I get no sound.
>
> A reboot always fixes the problem (until the following weekend when I go away
> again).
>
> Anyone know why this is happening????

I remember doing battle with this issue when I switched my frontend to
FC3 from gentoo. Now I have put everything into the master backend
(PVR350, PVR500MCE) and it has appeared again, and obviously rebooting
every time it happens is not an option for a general server/master
backend.

The frontend was an Asus Pundit (SiS chipset) and the server is some
generic Intel mainboard with a P4, so this may not work there, but I think
I "solved" it last time by
  1) Disabling the printer port in BIOS, and
  2) Adding "parport=0 noapic nolapic acpi=off" to the kernel line in grub.conf.

Can't remember if that was what actually did the trick, will check when I
get home tomorrow... =)

/ Niklas