[mythtv-users] problems installing mythtv

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Jul 11 15:17:42 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 08:54:00PM +0200, Paul de Vries wrote:
> Q2: is it possible to install mythtv directly on debian, following the
> wilson guide, or are more appropriate guides available?

Installing MythTV on Debian is quick and painless.  A message at
http://www.luci.org/luci-discuss/200409/msg00006.html explains how to
install MythTV.  Getting the driver for your WinTV-PVR?50 card to work
will be a bit more complicated, at least partly because the ivtv does
not come with the required firmware image (due to copyright) and
Hippauge changed the location of the Microsoft Windows DLL on the
CD-Rom.  I ended up having to hack the perl scripts to manually unpack
the firmware images.

I am running Debian with a mix of stable and unstable packages, a
custom 2.6.11.12 kernel and ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j drivers for my PVR250.

Notes on ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j:
(1) the 'make clean' target does not remove all of the intermediate
files
(2) the saa7115 module accesses the i2c client struct directly instead
of using the new access methods, and this breaks saa7115 on the 2.6.12
kernels.