[mythtv-users] Disk utilization on slave backend questions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 9 18:15:21 EDT 2005

Alex Brekken wrote:

>On 7/9/05, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I just wanted to chime in and say that one does need NFS mounts IF
>>they are using mythvideo/mythmusic.  I chose a central location for
>>these files, and they are a subdir of my existing MythTV recordings
>>directory, which is universally /mnt/MythTV.  So, on my MBE I create a
>>directory /mnt/MythTV/videos and NFS export ONLY this directory to the
>>frontends.  That way the recordings are still held locally in
>>/mnt/MythTV, but the NFS mount directory /mnt/MythTV/videos is
>>seamless.
>>

>Chad, so what you're saying is that if you want to listen to music it
>needs to be stored on an NFS mount (unless it's on a local disk)?  So
>in other words, if I have a master-backend machine that sits in the
>basement with all the tuner cards and storage, and then a lightweight
>frontend in my living room, if I want to listen to music through that
>frontend the music needs to be sitting on an NFS mount in the backend?

Well, the music could be on the frontend's disk--in which case there's
no need for an NFS mount--however, in that case, you wouldn't be able to
play that music on any other frontend.

Backend data (TV recordings) are made available by Myth.  Frontend data
(i.e. music, videos, images, games, etc.--basically all the data used
for plugins) are not made available.  If you want it available on all
frontends, you must use some network file system (NFS, Samba, etc.) to
make the data available.

Mike