[mythtv-users] IMDB Screen Scrap... legal?

andrew matthews exstatica at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:00:23 EDT 2005

Quote from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database#Copyright_issues

"All volunteers who contribute content to the database retain
copyright<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright>to their
contributions but grant full rights to copy, modify, and sublicense
the content to IMDb. IMDb in turn does not allow others to use movie
summaries or actor biographies without written permission. Using filtering
software to avoid the display of advertisements from the site is also
explicitly forbidden. Only small subsets of filmographies are allowed to be
quoted, and only on non-commercial websites. The latter restrictions on the
use of data may be unenforceable, as the U.S. Supreme
Court<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States>in
*Feist v. Rural <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feist_v._Rural>* ruled that
collections of facts are not protected by copyright."

With that being said... i can say anything to scare you but that doesn't
mean i can take it to court and win.