[mythtv-users] Hardware compatablity / Drivers RedHat / Fedora Core 4 & MythTV / Advice welcome

Milos Prudek prudek at bvx.cz
Fri Jul 8 08:13:22 EDT 2005

> *Memory:*  Samsung PC3200 (1 GB kit)  (2) 512mb DDR à  $106

1 GB is actually an overkill. I have a combined front/backend with 512
MB RAM and I use it as Myth, SQL server, testing webserver, DNS, and for
two remote users running X Window applications, and as a firewall and
router.

> *Capture/TV Tuner:*  Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250   à $90

This card includes a good remote.

PVR-150 also includes a good remote and it is cheaper than PVR-250. I
have it. It works just fine with Myth.

> *AGP Video Card:  *Gigabit ATI 9600 Pro w/ 128mb (S-Video Out & DVI out)
> à $74

Overkill. NVIdia MX400 is good enough and it has a passive cooler.
Active cooler adds a lot of noise.

> *Sound:*  SoundBlaster Audigy II  24bit   6.1 channels  à In Stock

If you insist, but AC97 integrated on motherboard is perfectly adequate.

> *Remote:* RadioShack 15-2116 universal remote à $49

Not needed. See above.

In my opinion you could save some money and get a larger hard disk instead.

--
Milos Prudek
http://www.spoxdesign.com - your web usability testing