[mythtv-users] MythVideo, mythcommflag, and seeking HDTV transport files

Jack R. Hyde jr at jrh.net
Thu Jul 7 16:49:12 EDT 2005

I have a HDTV setup with both firewire and a pcHDTV3k card providing
transport streams. I frequently move recorded programs to my fileserver by
just moving and renaming them to program_name.ts . These files played fine
in mythtv under "Watch Recordings" but as soon as I try and play them back
with mythvideo's internal player I can't seek/ffw/rw. No matter what I hit
it just restarts from the beginning of the file, though it displays the
correct total time of the program.

Did some research and found out about mythcommflag -rebuild -video
/full/path/to/program_name.ts (tried with and without rebuild, I think it's
redundant though)

After running mythcommflag the program is listed as being 6-7 minutes long
and some shows will let me skip forward a reported minute at a time, but
which corresponds to roughly 1/6th of the program or around 20 minutes of
real time. Some only go about 1/3rd of the way through then refuse to skip
forward, only backwards.

What can I do make these files have correct seektables in mythtv? It works
after being recorded initially, but every time I try and recreate it with
mythcommflag it never works properly. Tried use video as a timebase option,
not sure if it's relevant, but I would guess not since it had zero apparent
effect.

I was using xine, mplayer, and vlc but then I found out about the internal
player. With all of the massive improvements done over time mythtv is now my
preferred transport stream player. I never go above 50% usage on an amd64
3400+ with bob deinterlace, where as all the other players struggle with any
deinterlacer.