[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV and DVD ISO files?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Jul 7 02:52:09 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 09:34:46AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> heres a tip. If you have another linux machine you can run mythfrontend
> over the network. I assume you have ssh set up on your mythbox. On your
> desktop box do:

Another possibility is to run VNC on the backend machine.  That keeps
all of the X11 protocol within the box and just exports a virtual
framebuffer to the client.  There are clients for most operating systems
as well as for use inside of JVMs.  I particularly like the fact that I
can close my VNC client and the X11 apps are unaffected, so I can
reconnect later (possibly on a different machine) and everything is just
the way I left it.

You can't really watch video over VNC, but you can start the MythTV
frontend on the VNC desktop and get about 0.5 to 1 FPS over a 100MBit
connection, which is enough to tell you that the tuner is working and
the nuv files are readable.