[mythtv-users] [OT] NForce2 Mono sound only

Trevor Hill trevor.hill at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 23:05:54 EDT 2005

This is somewhat off-topic, but it's preventing me from moving forward
with my Myth re-install and the 7NIF2 is such a popular motherboard
for Myth users that I figured I would ask here.

I always have the worst luck with sound in Linux.  Every distro, every
sound card, always a problem.  Except the first time I installed myth
(about two years ago), when things magically went flawlessly.  Not
this time.  After much humming and hawing and starting over again, I
finally got my 7NIF2 (intel8x0, nForce 2) on-board sound card to play
sound under all users in all circumstances.  Problem is, it's always
in mono.  I know the card can do stereo, but no matter what I do, it
always plays in mono.  I don't even have a left and right slider in
alsamixer, just "Master Mono" and "Master".

I think my biggest problem is that I'm not even sure where I need to
play with things to enable this (or set it as the default) --
.asoundrc, modprobe.conf, somewhere else...

My previously working system was FC1, and the current one is FC3.  I'm
sure someone around here has come across this in the past, thanks!

--Trevor