[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend and frontend only

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 18:48:45 EDT 2005

You cannot have a complete setup without the backend component (which
requires mysql) somewhere on the network, or even in the same box. The first
thing the frontend does when it starts up is to log in to the backend. Then
when you want to watch TV it asks the backend for the ringbuffer if I'm not
mistaken. Its raelly not that much extra work to setup mysql and the
backend.
 Devan

 On 7/4/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 03:10:40PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I use Gentoo and I compiled mythtv-0.18 with the "frontendonly" flag and
> > when it's done, each time I try to execute mythtv-setup or mythfrontend,
> > I get thrown into a setup screen to put my mysql db particulars.
> >
> > It's a front-end, I don't want to have mysql if it's not needed.
> > Possible? (Or does myth use mysql to store all the shows and what not?)
>
> The mythbackend uses mysql-server to store practically everything but
> the captured video feed. A frontend-only machine will need to have
> mysql-client installed so that it can interact with the remote
> mysql-server.
>
> There are at least three places on the backend machine where you will
> have to make manual changes to enable the remote mythfrontend to work:
>
> 1) Port permissions: open holes in the firewall and edit
> /etc/hosts.allow, etc. so that the frontend machine can connect to
> mysql-server on the back end.
>
> 2) Mysql permissions: use the mysql client on the server box to connect
> to the mythconverg database and grant permissions to the mythfrontend
> host.
>
> 3) Myth configuration: use a FQDN or IP address instead of the default
> "localhost". Although the frontend will have its own mysql connection
> information to reach the server, it then substitutes whatever
> configuration it downloads from the server, which means that if the
> mythbackend is using "localhost" then the frontend will connect to the
> server and then die because it tries to make subsequent connections to
> its own localhost.
>
> On a frontend-only machine you don't need to run mythtv-setup as that's
> used for configuring the capture card, etc. on the backend. Just start
> mythfrontend and if it doesn't find ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt it will ask you
> for the location of the backend mysql server and create the mysql.txt
> file for you. It will then go through the frontend configuration pages
> and save that data on the backend mysql server in the "settings" table.
> DO NOT enable check-boxes for mythfilldatabase, etc. on the frontend
> machine if the backend machine is already setup to do that. After that
> you're ready to watch TV!

Thanks,
Devan Lippman <devan at lippman.net>