[mythtv-users] Newbie questions

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Wed Jul 6 17:33:55 EDT 2005

I'm not really that familiar with CentOS, but it's Linux. You can still pretty much follow Jared's guide and obviously adapt where necessary. Should not be a problem so long as you have a reasonable working knowledge of Linux (sounds like you do). If CentOS is RPM or APT based, you should be good to go.

1) There IS a mythfrontend for Windows, but trust me it's more trouble than it's worth... at least in the incarnation that I played with. I put it on my dual PIII-933 and as well as being a bear to set up in the first place, it became very unreliable and didn't really play back recordings very well (or reliably). I gave up and installed Fedora on said machine and ran a real myth front end on it when I want it. Haven't looked back (but XP is still on the box if I feel the need to play a game)

2) No. Only backends need cards... frontends use the cards in the backends.

3) Although the bandwidth of 802.11g is sufficient for SDTV (don't try HDTV... it won't be pretty), the problem with all wireless is reliability, interference, recovery and above all latency. Latency is naturally higher on wireless LANs than on wired. Video is quite sensitive to lags and quirks in the signal. Interference can make this worse, and recovery time when interfered with can make the difference between it working and not. Depending on environmental factors, your mileage may vary. In my experience, having a 2.4Ghz cordless phone can cause all kinds of fun in the house with 802.11...

Having said that about wireless, give it a shot. I've run my setup off a 10Mbit/s Ethernet switch when my main switch fried (since replaced) and it worked admirably for feeding data across the wire at a relatively low speed. However, latency was excellent and I didn't have any problems with environmental interference.