[mythtv-users] Getting a Hauppauge PVR-500 PAL to work

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 10:21:56 EDT 2005

On 7/6/05, loemmel at geeknet.ch <loemmel at geeknet.ch> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've already seen in the mailing-lists some mails about this card, but I still
> can't get it working.
> Is there anybody from the Europe who got this card working?

Yes.

[snip]

> i put the following in the /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
> options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 ivtv_std=2 tuner=56,56
>
> i'm not shure about the tuner, but i don't get any errors.
>
> but i still don't get a picture, all I see is a black sometimes red picture in
> mythtv.
>
> is there anybody with more luck with this tv-card?

I have the same card (model = 23559, rev = D591), but I'm using Fedora
(FC3) and ivtv 0.3.5l. The ivtv driver for these cards is still in
heavy development, and what works in one release sometimes doesn't in
a more recent one, so it may be worth trying this version. If you have
a look on the ivtv-devel list you should be able to find a more recent
version which people are getting good results with.

My modprobe.conf  is also different to yours:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv